Pioneer Village (Compass Edition)
Pioneer Village is the crossroads where innovation and implementation converge. As you venture into this town, you embark on a mission to integrate a specific line of business or department. The goal? To fully harness the potential of resource demand management and unlock unparalleled communication synergies.
In this town, the spotlight is on efficiency and productivity. By focusing on a single department, you’ll experience the transformative impact of streamlined processes firsthand.
Resource Tech: (Training) Mirroring the approach taken with the Foundations Tech training for Sr. Project Managers, Resource Tech is tailored for Resource Managers and Team Members. This comprehensive training will be reviewed by your inaugural group, ensuring it’s infused with your company’s terminology and aligns with the core principles of Resource Demand Management and effective communication.
Demand Station (Reporting) Building on the foundation set by First Look Observatory, Demand Station offers a deep dive into Resource Demand. It provides a snapshot of past, present, and future resource demands, connected with planned work, revealing often overlooked areas of unplanned work.
First Finance (Reporting) Complementing Demand Station’s insights, First Finance sheds light on the true costs and variances, often unearthing hidden costs associated with non-standard portfolio application support. These insights pave the way for more accurate budgeting and potential chargeback options.
- Enhanced Productivity: Achieve more with the same team, driving up work output without increasing headcount.
- Streamlined Communication: Reduce the number and duration of meetings, thanks to improved collaboration tools.
- Tool Consolidation: Minimize the clutter of multiple tools, leading to cost savings and reduced support needs.
- Consistency and Trust: Establish end-to-end consistency in processes, bolstering trust in your PMO/EPMO.
- Timeliness: Ensure timely execution and delivery, keeping projects on track and stakeholders informed.
- Dynamic Forecasting: Engage in easy what-if scenarios, understanding potential impacts on dates, resources, work, scope, risks, and costs.
- Early Warning System: Gain immediate visibility into variances, allowing for proactive adjustments.
- Resource Clarity: Achieve unparalleled visibility into resource allocations, from portfolio to individual tasks, including vacations, sick days, and more.
In Pioneer Village, integration is just the beginning. Here, you’re laying the groundwork for a revolutionary approach, making strategic decisions, reaping tangible benefits, and setting the stage for a sweeping organizational metamorphosis.
- Team Member and Resource Manager Training: Ensure you have training complete and ready for your first set of Resource Managers and Team Members.
- Demand Management Reporting: Prior to including your first department or line of business, ensure you have all of your resource demand reports completed and in use for 1-3 months.
- 1st Group/Department or Line of Business Resource Manager(s) and their Team members
- All project managers/schedulers
- PMO/EPMO Leadership
- Chosen Application Admin(s)
- Chosen Reporting Developer(s)
If the training has not already been updated or readily available, be prepared for an investment in both time and resources to create and update it.
Alternative Option: If you’re implementing Project Online with O365, we offer OnDemand training courses specifically tailored for Resource managers and Team members. These courses can save you considerable time and effort. For bulk access, contact us for group discounts.
It’s important to give your Project Managers and the first group time to ramp up with the training and integrate their new tools, processes, training and features. We usually recommend running for 1-3 months depending on your resource managers experience with Resource Demand Management and your project managers with Dynamic Scheduling. As soon as things are running smoothly and predictable, it’s time to demonstrate your solution to leadership and other resource managers, as well as HR, Finance and your technology leadership.
Fast is slow and slow is fast. We learned this the hard way many time. We need to make sure everything is running smoothly, training is correct and available and the project managers are able to create and see resource demand before we roll this out to the other groups. So take your time, its better to make corrections multiple times with a single group than it is to do it after a full rollout is complete.
**Tip: The first group you choose should be the “Can Do” and “we’ll work through this” group. Do not start with your hardest group of naysayer’s, they can tank all of your hard work that you’ve had up to this time.
**Tip: Discuss with HR and Leadership as early as possible about the carrot or stick method for ensuring that the first group maintains their commitment to completing their status updates on time and consistently. Some companies tie their bonuses, grading and reviews to these core work efforts.
If you’re a carrot type organization, talk to us about gamification of your solution to showcase progress and improvements.
Are you Ready to Start?
Download The Ultimate PMO Roadmap now and you’ll be able to start in minutes.